Did you open YouTube on your PC web browser to listen to your favorite singer’s new music video or maybe to see the video just posted by the YouTuber you follow assiduously, but immediately realized that you have some problems with the YouTube audio? Don’t panic. You have landed on the page that suits your needs. In fact, in this article, I will explain everything you need to do when the audio doesn’t work on YouTube.
In most cases, YouTube audio malfunction is caused by problems that are easily fixed with just a few clicks. So, I am sure that after reading this guide and putting into practice the advice given in the next chapter, you will be able to solve audio problems on YouTube without a hitch.
To quickly solve this kind of problem, you don’t need to be a computer expert. You have to perform the operations described step by step in the next lines. So, let’s get down to business and try to solve this little problem.
What to do when YouTube audio doesn’t work
I think it is right to start with the simplest procedures and also the most obvious ones, so first, make sure that your PC speakers are turned on, connected correctly to the PC, and that the volume is not at minimum.
I remind you that if you use external speakers on a desktop PC, the audio speaker connector must be connected to the green-colored input jack. If you are using a notebook, plug the jack into the headphone output.
Also, before continuing, try to view another YouTube video and check if the problem persists.
Make sure the video is not muted
Another obvious but important thing to check out is the YouTube video audio icon. So, make sure the video’s audio isn’t muted. If you see a slash on the sound icon, the sound is disabled. To reactivate it, click on the icon or press M from the keyboard. Also, make sure that the audio level of the video is at maximum.
Change web browser
If you’re still having trouble with YouTube audio, try switching web browsers. Sometimes a browser bug or a temporary malfunction can create problems with the audio of the videos being streamed. If the audio works on the new web browser, try resetting the old browser or uninstalling and reinstalling it. If you continue to have problems, definitely change your web browser.
Increase the volume of the Windows Mixer
The “Volume Mixer” function allows you to change the volume of the various apps and programs installed on your PC. Try starting the function and check the volume of the browser you are using:
- Right-click on the volume icon present in the taskbar;
- Click on the item “Open volume mixer” ;
- Drag up the slider under the logo of the web browser you are using.
Update your audio drivers
If you have performed all the steps described above, but the YouTube audio still does not work, try to update the audio drivers. To do this, the procedure is as follows:
- Press WIN + X keys,
- Click on the item “Device Manager” ;
- Click on the small arrow next to “Sound, video and game controllers” ;
- Right-click on the name of your video card, then click on “Update driver” ;
- When prompted, click on “Automatically search for drivers.”
Still having trouble with YouTube audio? Use the Windows troubleshooter.
- Access the Windows settings. To do this, press the WIN + I keys on the keyboard. Alternatively, click on the Start button and then click on the “Settings” icon (the one in the shape of a gear on the left side of the Start menu);
- Click on “Update and security” ;
- From the left sidebar, select the “Troubleshooting” item ;
- Click on the item “Additional troubleshooting tools” ;
- Click on the “Audio playback” item and then click on “Run the troubleshooter”.
Wait for the completion of the procedure and, if requested, carry out the procedures suggested by the system.