Spotify is undoubtedly the most used music streaming app ever, its monthly cost is quite low and the service offered is of the highest quality. However, if we really have to find a defect, we can identify it in the automatic launch of the app when the system starts. To overcome this little annoyance, I will explain in detail how to disable Spotify automatic start on Windows and Mac.
The automatic start of programs is a very useful function for certain software. It can be quite annoying when the apps that start automatically become numerous. A large number of apps and other software running at the same time will greatly affect the computer resources. Consequently, the system startup will slow down dramatically. For this reason, I always recommend turning off the automatic launch of unnecessary apps.
Disabling Spotify’s automatic startup is very simple, both on Windows and on macOS. In the next chapter, you will find all the steps to take.
Disable Spotify Autostart on Windows
On Windows you can disable the automatic start of Spotify in two different ways: you can act directly on the app settings or perform a quick procedure using the “Task Manager” tool.
To disable the automatic start by acting on the Spotify settings, the procedure to be performed is as follows:
- Start Spotify;
- Click on the three horizontal dots in the top left;
- Select the item “Edit” and then click on the item “Preferences” ;
- Scroll down the page, then click on “Show advanced settings” ;
- Locate the section “Startup settings for windows” ;
- From the drop-down menu next to the item “Open Spotify automatically after logging on to the computer,” select “No.”
Disable automatic start from Task Manager
As an alternative to the procedure seen above, you can prevent Spotify from starting automatically, using the Task Manager tool, here’s how:
- Press the WIN + X keys from the keyboard ;
- Click on the item “Activity Management” ;
- Select the “Startup” tab;
- Locate the item “Spotify,” then click on it and then click on the “Disability” button at the bottom right.
Disable Spotify Autostart on macOS
Also on the Mac, you can disable Spotify’s automatic start through the app settings or alternatively using the macOS System Preferences.
If you want to remove Spotify’s automatic start by acting on the app settings, the procedure to be performed is identical to that seen previously, so:
- Start Spotify;
- Click on the three points at the top left, select the item “Edit” and then click on “Preferences.”
- Scroll the page to the end, then click on the item “Show advanced settings” ;
- From the drop-down menu next to the item “Open Spotify automatically after logging on to the computer,” select the item “No.”
Disable autostart from System Preferences
If you prefer to act directly from the macOS System Preferences, the procedure to be performed is as follows:
- Click on the Apple icon, present at the top left, in the Menu Bar;
- Then click on “System Preferences” ;
- Click on “Users and groups”;
- Unlock the settings by clicking on the padlock icon at the bottom left, then type your Mac password and click on “Unlock” ;
- Select the “Login Items” tab ;
- Identify the item “Spotify” from the list and add the check mark in the corresponding box, under the “Hide” column ;
- Make sure that ” Spotify” is still selected and click on the “-“ button.