Launchpad is a macOS feature that allows you to view all the icons of the apps installed on the Mac on a screen very similar to that of the iPad. The Launchpad can be accessed via gesture, using the function key, by clicking on the icon in the Dock or from the “Applications” folder. If you never use this feature or if you happen to open it by mistake, you may decide to disable the Launchpad and this short article will show you how.
Many users appreciate and often use the Launchpad, however, as mentioned above, if you are not used to using this feature and if you happen to activate it involuntarily from time to time, perhaps by making a gesture on the trackpad or pressing the function key, the best choice is to disable the Launchpad.
In the following paragraphs, I will show you several procedures that will allow you to disable the Launchpad on the Mac. So if you are interested in the subject, I suggest you continue reading the next chapter.
Disable the Launchpad on the Mac
Unfortunately, it is not possible to completely disable the Launchpad on the Mac. However, it is possible to disable the various functions that allow you to open it. Below I’ll explain how to do it.
Disable Launchpad gesture
To disable the gesture that allows you to open the Launchpad, the procedure to be performed is as follows:
- Click on the Apple icon, the apple-shaped one, present at the top left, in the menu bar;
- You should also click on “System Preferences”;
- Click on the “Trackpad” icon;
- Select the “Other actions” tab;
- Remove the checkmark from the “Launchpad” item ;
- Close System Preferences;
Remove the Launchpad keyboard shortcut
If you want to remove the keyboard shortcut that activates the Launchpad, the steps to take are as follows:
- Click on the Apple icon and then click on “System Preferences”;
- Click on the “Keyboard” icon;
- Select the “Abbreviations” tab;
- From the left side menu, select the “Launchpad” item;
- Uncheck the item “Show Launchpad” ;
- Close System Preferences.
Remove the Launchpad icon from the Dock
To delete the Launchpad icon from the Dock you have to perform the classic procedure that allows you to remove the icons from the Dock.
- Click on the Launchpad icon and drag it out of the Dock;
- Wait for “Remove” to appear, then release the icon.
- Right-click on the Launchpad icon (if you use the trackpad tap with two fingers);
- Click on the “Remove from Dock” item.