It can often happen that you have to record your screen, in particular, to create tutorials or to capture content on the Internet that may be protected. Unlike the screenshot, which is offered natively, the computer will almost never have the means to film its screen. It is therefore advisable to use software that allows screencasting by offering various options.
What is screen recording or screencasting?
Screencasting is a process that allows you to record everything that happens on a PC or Mac screen. It is generally dedicated software that allows this work.
Examples of using screencasting
Screencasting is widely used to create tutorials and record video sequences on the Internet when sites do not offer the option of recording.
Using a built-in program might slow down your computer when you are gaming online and want to record your screen. The program that we will recommend to you is designed not to affect your computer’s performance when shooting your screen.
Another opportunity where you might need to record your screen would be during a business video conference meeting, watching a video call with a friend. If you need to register one or more webcams, then this type of software is for you.
One feature that many users are looking for is picture in picture (PIP). It is a way to record two screen windows simultaneously. You might need this when presenting on Google Meet and want to record both your webcam and what you are presenting. You will thus film your screen as a whole but with separate instances.
Hitpaw screencasting software
We present here the HitPaw program, which offers several features for filming your screen under Windows 10. You can even modify the video sequences filmed on the screen.
How to record your Windows 10 screen with HitPaw?
This software is particularly appreciated by those who record games sessions and for all other reasons, but also for the picture in picture (PIP) function.
First of all, install the software to start using it. You just have to go to the official page to download it or simply click here.
Saving a game
You can record the screen while playing any game without any problem, and most importantly, without affecting the performance of the game itself. Since this is a screen recording, you will, of course, be able to record any type of game. You also can record games with your webcam, which allows you to add your own creations to the video you create.
If for some reason, you want to exclude audio from your video, you will be able to do so without any problem with this program. You can also record in full screen or only windows using the zoom function. You can also record from your webcam and change the resolution of the video you create. While recording your webcam screen, you can also take as many screenshots as you want.
A special function: picture in picture
It has become more and more common to organize business meetings or video conferences online while working from home. All the more so when the meetings are made with people who are abroad. The simultaneous recording of your webcam and your screen (for example, the presentation of a project) can be done thanks to HitPaw in several ways.
First of all, it only takes one click to start recording with the program. You can then make the webcam appear smaller in the video, with the presentation large, or vice versa (webcam in the foreground and your screen small). This is a commonly used option in meetings, and the important thing is that you can quickly switch between them.
The different types of recordings
Record a game
- Click on “game registration” and select the game in the games menu or your applications;
- Click on “start” to start recording your game. Otherwise, use the keyboard shortcuts if they have been configured;
- All you have to do is click on “start” again to end the recording, and you can then change the duration of the video if you wish. You will find it in the destination folder defined previously.
Record in full screen
- From the basic interface of the program, just select “Record screen” to get started;
- Using your mouse, select your entire screen or long-press to choose a smaller area to record;
- End your recording whenever you want. You will then see it appear in the destination folder.
- If, in addition to a webcam integrated into your computer, you have an external one, you will have to select the one you want to use in the program, then click on “webcam recording” mode;
- Click “Save” to start. At the same time, you can also change your own webcam settings;
- At this point, you just need to click on “stop” to end the recording.
Save picture in picture
- To get started, all you need to do is click on “Screen recording” or “Game recording,” depending on what you want to do for your video;
- Now click on the options bar at the top, the one called “PIP.” Adjust the settings (they are very intuitive) as you wish, or leave everything as it is, as that won’t change much;
- You can easily switch from recording the foreground screen to a webcam that takes up the entire screen. Depending on where you want to focus your video: just switch between them with a single click.
- At this stage, the recording will have started. You just have to click on “Stop” to end the recording, and the software will automatically switch to edit mode.
Some questions/answers on screen recording through Windows.
How do you make a screen recording on a computer?
On Windows 10, there are several ways to film your screen without resorting to external apps. Here is one of those examples:
Using the Windows key + G shortcut simultaneously, after opening the application, you want to register. Unfortunately, applications such as file manager or full-screen recordings are not possible with this method. With this method, you must also validate “yes, it’s a game” to open the GameBar (even if you do not save a game, you will have to do so to be able to save). Then to start recording, click on the Start recording button (or Win + Alt + R together).
How do you film your screen online?
There are many applications online for you to capture your screen without downloading anything. However, we will always recommend the HitPaw solution to you because the software offers so many features. It also has an online screen recorder, which allows you to capture everything that happens on the screen, from a window or even from a tab in your browser with sound.
How do you take a video capture on a Windows 7 PC?
Unlike Windows 10, Windows 7 does not have specific features with shortcuts to allow you to record your screen. You either have to use external applications or go through a small Windows utility called ScreenRecorder. It will only allow you to make basic recordings of your screen.