Before Gmail came into our lives, most Internet pedestrians used Hotmail accounts to send emails. Today Hotmail is owned by Microsoft, and like Outlook and Live accounts, they still have a large user base on both desktop and mobile devices.
Outlook email accounts are strongly associated with the work and business environment, and although disconnecting from work should be an obligation, at some point you may need to configure your email on your phone. If you use an Outlook or Hotmail account for personal email, that’s great too. Missing more!
3 ways to set up an Outlook, Hotmail, or Live account on Android
Android offers several ways to set up a Microsoft email account.
- From the general section of “Accounts” in the Android settings.
- Using the Gmail app.
- Installing the Outlook mail client.
Next, we explain how to carry out the configuration process in each of these cases.
1- Add the account in the general Android settings
The advantage of configuring an Outlook or Hotmail account from the phone’s general settings is that it allows you to use Microsoft mail with any email application installed on your phone.
Note: If you do not have any mail client installed on your phone, you can access the mailbox directly from Gmail.
- Open the general Android “ Settings ” menu.
- Go to “ Passwords and accounts ”. In some versions of Android, this option may also appear simply as “Accounts” or “Accounts and Backup.”
- Select “Manage Account“
- Select “ Add account ”.
- Click on “ Personal (IMAP) ”. Some versions of Android also offer the “Outlook, Hotmail and Live” option. If your mobile has that box, click on it.
- Add your Hotmail, Outlook, or Live email address.
- The system will automatically redirect you to the Microsoft login screen. Enter the password and click on “ Login ”.
- You will then see a screen requesting permission to access your Microsoft account. Select “ Yes ” to continue.
- Then, you will see the account synchronization options. By default, the account will be updated every 15 minutes (open the dropdown if you want to change the update frequency). Leave all the boxes checked as they appear by default and click on “ Next ”.
- Finally, you can choose the name that will be displayed when you send the messages from the account that you are configuring. If you see that everything is correct, click on “ Next ”.
And ready! You will automatically be redirected to the “Passwords and accounts” settings menu where you will see that our Microsoft account is already configured.
If you want to access the mailbox to read and answer emails, you only have to open the email app that the phone uses by default, which is usually Gmail (unless your phone has its own app).
To delete the email account from the phone, simply go back to “Settings -> Passwords and accounts” and select the Microsoft account, and then press the “ Remove account ” button. As simple as that.
2- Set up your Microsoft account from Gmail
If you prefer to configure your Outlook or Hotmail account locally, that is, to show mail only in the Gmail app, you can also do so by following these steps.
- Open Gmail.
- Display the side options menu by sliding your finger from left to right or by clicking on the 3-line icon that you will see in the upper left corner of the screen.
- Select “ Settings -> Add account ”.
- Choose “ Outlook, Hotmail and Live ”. Here, you will also find the option to configure “Exchange and Office 365” accounts if you have a corporate company account.
- Sign in with your email address and password.
- On the “Do you want to stay signed in?” screen. indicates “Yes”.
- Next, review your account’s sync options. Click on “Next”.
- Finally, if you want, you can modify the name that will be displayed when you send an email. If everything is to your liking, select “Next”.
Completed process! From now on, if you open Gmail and click on your profile located in the upper right corner of the screen, you will see that the mailbox of the Outlook or Hotmail account is now also accessible.
3- Use the Microsoft Outlook mail app
Finally, we can’t forget about Microsoft’s own mail app for Android. If you have Outlook installed on the phone and want to set up a Microsoft account, it will not take you more than a minute:
- Open the Outlook mail client. If you don’t have it installed yet, you can download it for free from the Google Play Store.
- If this is your first time using Outlook, it will ask you to set up an account. Click on “Add account”.
- Enter your Outlook, Live, or Hotmail email address. Also, enter the password.
In case you already have Outlook configured with another account and want to add a new email account, you can do it by clicking on your avatar icon (located in the upper left margin).
Then, click on the add account icon, which is represented by the drawing of an envelope and the + symbol. From here, enter the account credentials as we have done in the previous examples and the mailbox will be configured.